End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) is an escalating pandemic in most parts of the world, including Malaysia. Nationwide, the number of treated ESRD patients reached 30,484, with the number of patients growing at an average rate of 15.1% annually since 1993.
Patients diagnosed with ESRD have a critical need to for health maintenance. However, the treatment of ESRD remains a costly endeavour regardless of the modality, from haemodialysis (HD), peritoneal dialysis (PD) or kidney transplant. To this end, this new EPP aims to address both the provision of services as well as the manufacturing of medical products involved in the treatment of ESRD.
The key objectives of EPP14 are as follows:
- To make Malaysia a regional base for renal therapy solutions
- To lower the cost of treatment and improve accessibility of renal treatments in Malaysia via import substitution as well as the provision of innovative home-grown treatment solutions.
- In 2014, Fresenius Medical Care, a global supplier of renal solutions and a major player in both hemodialysis (HD) and peritoneal dialysis (PD) products, increased the production output of HD concentrates in its manufacturing facility in Bandar Enstek, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan. The company also created more job opportunities with the implementation of a second shift in production.
- Fresenius has also just completed the production setup for its new product line, Citrosteril. Production will commence once the company has met regulatory requirements.
- Proligen will set up its manufacturing plant in Jasin, Melaka. The production of dialysers will begin at the end of 2015, with exports targeted to begin in 2016. Due to the export pipeline, the company is expected to raise investments to more than RM120 million. It is also exploring the possibility of manufacturing dialysis machines with the MoH.
- Lucenxia, a home-grown company that manufactures INTELLIS, designed for chronic kidney patients, achieved a realised investment of RM17.07 million in 2014. Lucenxia is now conducting clinical trials in Malaysia.