This EPP has identified four initiatives to develop an efficient solid waste management
system, thus enhancing the liveability of Greater Kuala Lumpur/Klang Valley. They
- Encouraging greater implementation of the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (3R) programme.
- Increasing waste treatment capacity to reduce reliance on landfills.
- Improving the governance of solid waste management and public cleaning services.
- Assessing the potential of new technological developments such as automatic waste
collection and the use of deep bins.
- The Sungai Kertas construction and demolition (C&D) waste recycling facility commenced operations in January 2014, with an hourly processing capacity of 300 tonnes of C&D waste.
- To further boost recycling rates, waste separation at source will be implemented in six states (Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Pahang, Johor, Kedah and Perlis) and the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya beginning September 2015.